The application for the 2022 TechGirls Program is now closed.
If you are interested in being a TechGirl, our next application period will open in fall 2022. The world needs young women interested in creating solutions for a better world.
TechGirls participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts review applications. United States Embassy personnel in your country of permanent residence interview semifinalists.
If you are a U.S. applicant please see the U.S. Youth Ambassadors program page.
2022 Eligibility Requirements
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are from one of the following eligible countries/territories:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, and South Africa
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Suriname
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
- United States of America
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange July 7th, 2022;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in science, technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Eligible candidates must be citizens and current residents of participating countries. Third country nationals permanently living in an eligible country should contact us to determine eligibility prior to applying.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff. U.S. Department of State employees, family members of the administering organization or partner organizations are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
The TechGirls application closed on January 17, 2022. All applicants that successfully submitted an application were sent a confirmation email. We received approximately 6000 applications and we will select 136 participants for the program. All applicants will be notified of their results or next steps by mid-March.
The TechGirls team is working closely with the U.S. Department of State, local and global health professionals to plan a program that adheres to the best public health practices. If the global health situation stabilizes and travel restrictions ease, we hope to conduct the program in person in summer 2022. We remain open to providing a high quality virtual exchange if necessary.