Eligibility and Application
The 2024 TechGirls application is closed. All applicants will be notified of their status in March 2024.
All TechGirls participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts review applications.
- For international semi-finalists, U.S. embassy personnel in host country/territory of permanent residence conduct interviews.
- For U.S. semi-finalists, Legacy International conducts interviews.
2024 Eligibility Requirements
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are citizens of one of the eligible countries/territories AND living in that country/territory at time of exchange:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, and Zambia
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Türkiye
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Peru, and Suriname
- United States of America
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange on July 13, 2024
- Born on or between July 13, 2006 and July 13, 2009;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in science, technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in STEM, especially technology;
- Have strong English language skills (advanced intermediate English skills);
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country;
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home; and
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (for instance, U.S. citizens are not eligible for a J-1 visa).
- Eligible candidates must be citizens and current residents of participating countries. Third-country nationals permanently living in an eligible country should contact us to determine eligibility prior to applying.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff. U.S. Department of State employees, family members of the administering organization or partner organizations are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
The 2024 TechGirls application is open and will close on December 8, 2023 at 12:00 PM noon ET. All applicants will be notified of their status in March 2024.
Public Health Contingencies
Legacy International works closely with the U.S. Department of State, and local and global health professionals to plan a program that adheres to the best public health practices.