Since January 2021, Legacy International has been supporting, and training TechGirls alumnae to serve as Officers in the TechGirls Alumnae Advisory Council. The TechGirls Alumnae Advisory Council(AAC) is a year-long, active commitment. In this role, TechGirls Alumnae Advisory Council Officers actively engage in community educational programming and help activate other TechGirls Alumnae. In addition to this role, Alumnae Advisory Council Officers elect to complete Professional Development Training which includes STEM Training, Mentorship,
Advocacy, and Service.
TechGirls Alumnae Officers exemplify the following:
- Are active mentors in their communities;
- Advocate for and exemplify the impact of investing in women as STEM leaders; and
- Build opportunities for youth engagement through STEM trainings, workshops and service activities.
Highlights from our Officers:
- Our TechGirls Alumnae Officers hosted TechGirls Instagram takeovers the week of International Women's Day to honor Women’s History Month/International Women’s Day. Yasmina (Lebanon 2019), Adya (USA, 2020), Sadyia (Uzbekistan, 2019), Zaineb (Tunisia, 2019)
- Farah (Jordan, 2017) hosted a C++ introductory Coding course for TechGirls alumnae
- Sura (Jordan, 2017) is spearheading a one-to-one mentorship program for the Jordanian TechWomen-TechGirls club between TechWomen and TechGirls
- Tayma (Palestinian Territories, 2017) and Asmaa (Morocco, 2017) hosted a LinkedIn webinar for TechGirls alumnae to teach them best practices in developing a profile, growing their network and enhancing their own personal brand
- Sixteen Council members from across Central Asia, MENA have committed to share their project development experience as mentors in the 2021 TechGirls program.
- Lydia (Algeria, 2016), Joddy (Jordan, 2021), Sura (Jordan, 2017), Batool (Jordan, 2018), and Mas (Jordan, 2021) hosted a pre-arrival session for the 2022 TechGirls cohort to answer questions and provide support.
TechGirls at the World Summit on the Information Society Forum 2021
TechGirls hosted a panel on female STEM leaders at the World Summit on the Information Society Forum 2021, which represents the world’s largest annual gathering of the ‘ICT for development’ community. The WSIS Forum is co-organized by ITU, UNESCO, UNDP and UNCTAD. The theme of the Forum was ICTs for Inclusive, Resilient and Sustainable Societies and Economies (WSIS Action Lines for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals).
The TechGirls alumnae council officers who participated: Asmaa (Morocco, 2017), Tayma (Palestinian Territories, 2017), Ruhee (USA, 2020), Yasmina (Lebanon, 2020), Sevara (Uzbekistan, 2019), Lara (Palestinian Territories, 2012), Haoua (Algeria, 2016).
Code Like a Girl!: Intro to Computer Programming with the TechGirls
During the 2022 Celebrating 10 Years of the TechGirls Multiplier Effect! conference, TechGirls Alumnae Advisory Council members introduced computer science, underlying bias present in programming, and ran through examples of C++ and Java.
The TechGirls alumnae council officers who participated: Ikram (Morocco, 2020), Gulasal (Uzbekistan, 2021), Ellie (United States of America, 2021), and Nada (Egypt, 2020).