June 21, 2020
Due to the global pandemic, we are not able to offer an in-person summer program in Washington D.C. and Southwest Virginia this year but we have exciting news!
This summer the TechGirls team are gathering the selected 2020 TechGirls participants from across the MENA and Central Asia regions and the US for an exciting 21 day virtual exchange for the start of their TechGirls journey!
This is a free educational experience from Legacy International – a leader in the youth exchange arena with 40 years of successful program delivery.
Dates: July 18 to August 5, 2020
To be eligible: You must be a selected TechGirls 2020 participant
What does it involve?
- Your commitment: 12 hours total per week. You have activities to do and post asynchronously (activities that you can do on your own time). They take 1-2 hours per day. Each week there are two real-time zoom meetings where we will discuss the results of your independent work with the group for approximately 1.5 hour each.
- A webcam and internet are required to participate – can use mobile phone, tablet or desktop.
- Ability to take an upload photos or videos to our learning platform
- Please note the program is conducted in English. It is best if English skills are at the intermediate level in writing and conversation.
At the Virtual TechGirls Camp you will:
- Make friends from across the globe: Share stories, art, recipes, passions in a safe secure setting
- Build important cross-cultural communication skills (Part 1): Learn how to listen, ask questions, share perspectives and discover shared values.
- Develop leadership skills: Work in small groups with global peers and experts to address the Sustainable Development Goals. Pick a pathway to explore (Part 2)
- Helping Hands – Social Justice and Service for all
- Communitech – Tech for Social Good
- Crossing Cultures through Art
- Global Earth Warriors
- (You)nited Nations and the Sustainable Development Goals
- Celebrate: The TechGirls family – friends with a shared sense of purpose (Part 3)
At the end of the program, you will:
- Receive a certificate in Global Citizenship
- Be able to join the TechWomen-TechGirls club in your country (for MENA and Central Asia participants)
- Become part of the TechGirls network of over 238 alumnae
- Have the option to earn a letter stating that you completed 10 hours of volunteer service