Local Engagement Coordinators for TechGirls 2022!
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED as of Friday, December 10th, 2021 at 12pm Eastern Time.
TechGirls Is a U.S. Department of State initiative and exchange program designed to inspire young women from the Middle East and North Africa to pursue higher education and careers in technology through hands-on skills development. It is administered by Legacy International in partnership with Virginia Tech, Center for Enhancement of Engineering Diversity.
LECs must be citizens of and currently reside of one of the following countries:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, South and Africa
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Suriname
A LEC is
- An active leader (ages 23 and up) in the Department of State (DOS) Alumnae network looking for an exciting, short-term role to make a difference for girls in your country and support the next generation of global STEM leaders?
- Committed to women’s and girl’s’ empowerment and STEM?
- Strong in organizational, English, communication and interpersonal skills?
- Able to manage a budget and coordinate logistics?
- Experienced in developing and executing a community project, business, or nonprofit in the STEM field?
By choosing to work with the TechGirls program, each LEC agrees to uphold high standards of personal behavior and job performance.
- Assisting embassy with program outreach in their country during recruitment period;
- Managing a small budget which will cover participant in-country travel arrangements for visa appointments and international travel;
- Assisting families as they prepare their child for travel, translating Legacy’s pre-departure information as needed, and tracking the completion of important forms (health forms, media consent, visa applications etc.);
- Connecting TechGirls with DoS alumni in STEM fields via virtual and in-person meetups;
- Mentoring TechGirls as needed through the follow-on project phase and keeping Legacy and embassies informed of progress;
- Possibly acting as an international flight escort for the group either to the USA or from the USA.
Eligibility and Selection:
- All alumni from Department of State Programs are eligible for consideration. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Alumni can be from any of the following programs: TechWomen, TechGirls, Professional Fellows Program (PFP), International Visitors Leadership Program (IVLP), Youth Exchange and Study (YES), Sports Visitors, the Fortune Program, Fulbright, Community Solutions, Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI), Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) and Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI), Women’s Entrepreneurship in the Americas (WEAmericas), African Women’s Entrepreneurship Program (AWEP), Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) , DOS’ TechCamps and others!
- Legacy International will work with each Embassy to select a LEC, an outstanding DoS Alumni to support the 2022 TechGirls program for 12 months starting in January 2022 through December 2022.
- LECs must be citizens and/or residents of one of the TechGirls eligible countries (see list below).
LECs will contribute approximately 5-10 hours per month (January 2022 through December 2022)and will receive a small honorarium.