TechGirls Local Engagement Coordinators (LECs)
Legacy International will work with embassies to identify a Local Engagement Coordinator (LEC), who ideally will be outstanding/active DoS alumni to support the 2023 TechGirls program starting in January 2023 through December 2023. Check out our 2022 Local Engagement Coordinators here.
The LEC’s responsibilities include:
- Assisting embassy with program outreach in their country during recruitment period;
- Managing a small budget which will cover participant in-country travel arrangements for visa appointments and international travel;
- Assisting families as they prepare their child for travel, translating Legacy's pre-departure information as needed, and tracking the completion of important forms (health forms, media consent, visa applications etc.);
- Connecting TechGirls with DoS alumni in STEM fields via virtual and in-person meetups;
- Mentoring TechGirls as needed through the follow-on project phase and keeping Legacy and embassies informed of progress;
- Possibly acting as an international flight escort for the group either to the USA or from the USA.
Eligibility and Selection: Candidates will submit a brief application via Google Form. Following a pre-screening round, Legacy International will conduct an interview with select applicants and discuss final selection with embassy officials.
- Be an active youth leader;
- Be ages 23 and older;
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply
- Have a strong commitment to women and girls empowerment and STEM;
- Possess strong organizational, English, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Be able to manage a small budget and coordinate logistics in nearby or neighboring countries;
- Have experience developing and executing a community project, business, or nonprofit in the STEM field;
- Have participated in a DoS program or be a part of the Department of State Alumnae network.
- DoS programs include: TechWomen, TechGirls, Professional Fellows Program (PFP), International Visitors Leadership Program (IVLP), Youth Exchange and Study (YES), Sports Visitors, the Fortune Program, Fulbright, Community Solutions, Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI), Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI), Women’s Entrepreneurship in the Americas (WEAmericas), African Women’s Entrepreneurship Program (AWEP), Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI), DoS’ TechCamps and others!
Compensation: LECs will contribute approximately 5-15 hours per month (January 2023 to December 2023) and will receive a small honorarium for their service.
Legacy International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks qualified applicants to represent diverse geographical, ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds. Our goal is to select the most qualified staff. The competitive standards are set by each group of applicants. Our policy is to ensure that no employee or applicant for employment is denied equal opportunity because of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other non-merit-based factor.